New Extra-Point 5-man Mechanics

Forums Football New Extra-Point 5-man Mechanics

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LOUIS METEVIA 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

LOUIS METEVIA
    Participant

Play Situation – 4th quarter 20 seconds left in the game Team A losing 20-21. Team A 1st & 10 @ B45 with no timeouts left. QB throw a completed pass in the middle of the field to the B13 for a first down. After setting up the chains the clock will start again. Umpire places the ball on the ground and Team A sets up for a Field Goal attempt. The new mechanics has the Umpire under the Press box Goal Post. 23 yards from the ball. The umpire still has to count the offense. Very difficult from this position. Again, Team A 1st & 10 @ B13 so the Umpire has to check for 4 linemen 50-79. Very difficult from 23 yard from the ball. Then, the Umpire has to rule on any roughing of the snapper in the middle of the field near the ground and also judge on a ball that headed high in the sky towards his goal post. How can the Umpire watch the center for a snap infraction and any roughing of the snapper and judge on a football that is high in the air?

Paul LaRosa

Louis – As I understand, lots of debate on this mechanic. A number of officials across the state were involved in the discussion and while not perfect, this was the mechanic chosen. Leaving the line of scrimmage open on one side by moving a wing under the goal posts creates a number of issues as well. Moral of the debate: no good answer for a 5-man crew. Thanks – Paul

LOUIS METEVIA
    Participant

Thanks Paul,

The main thing for me is we”re giving up safety of a player just to have coverage on the outside and if you go pass the 15 yard line we go back to the old mechanics. Would a team be more likely to kick inside 15 yards? How many teams have a kicker that can kick a field goal pass the 15 yard line (33+ yard field goal). And again, I feel we should be more concerned about player safety than coverage. Just saying.

Thanks for leaning to me.

LOUIS METEVIA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.