Rules Clinic

Forums Football Rules Clinic

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Paul LaRosa 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

frymoyer14
    Participant

Is there any word if the rules clinics are still scheduled for the times listed because of the flooding? Specifically the 2 at the LHSAA office.

Paul LaRosa

My understanding is that all Rules Clinics have been canceled and may or may not be completed in some other manner. The LHSAA office had about 2 feet of water – there’s no chance any meetings of any sort are happening there anytime soon. You need to check with your assignment secretary for the latest information. Paul LaRosa

peter kirsch
    Participant

Paul,
    is there anything in the works who could not make the clinic in Zachary that were no preregistered

Paul LaRosa

Peter – any final decision on this issue rests with Keith Alexander, who is obviously up to his neck in mold and mud, but here is my perspective. It has not been definitively decided but it is possible that all officials who registered in advance and got their payments to the Baton Rouge Association prior to the weather event on Friday will get camp credit. IF this happens, the logic would be that these individuals clearly made their intent to attend known by registering and paying and but for the cancellation, would have attended. It is highly unlikely that credit will be given to anyone who suggests that he planned on attending as a “walk up” because there’s simply no way to verify that intention. Further, it is highly unlikely that any meaningful camp experience could be assembled prior to the start of the football season particularly given the state of affairs in Baton Rouge. Therefore, anyone who did not pre-register for Zachary has likely missed the option for a camp. You should expect to hear Keith Alexander defend this position by noting that we’re on a 2 year cycle and everyone had several opportunities to attend a camp or register for Zachary over the past 2 years. Again, this is not a definitive decision, but I believe this is the direction you should expect. Thanks – Paul

Chad Vallo
    Participant

Has anyone registered on the day of the clinic in the past?
    If yes then how can we punish our LHSOA Officials?
    I feel that we cannot hold punishment on a what someone’s intent would or would not have been. I hope that our LHSOA Association is behind the officials.

peter kirsch
    Participant

I know that I registered as a “walk up ” in Thibodaux 2years ago and the only reason I did that is because 2 years before that in Ruston for a 1 day camp my and another attending officials records of paying were lost. The only reason that we were given credit is because Mr. Alexander vouched that he spoke to us at the camp, so forgive my nontrust for preregistration or paying cash. I can prove intent in writing from my Human resources Department who documented that I took a vacation day from work to attend the clinic. “common sense and fair play” does not seem to apply and to this situation Chad. I can mail in a check to the association for registration but what exactly is that needed for since there is no Clinic to attend or plans for a makeup. Even if I preregistered I’d demand a refund, I guess the best thing to do is pay up and travel across the state every year incase the storm of the century blows in. There was no clinic offered in the spring. I certainly feel sorry for all of those effected by the storms and in the grand scheme of things this is truly not that big of a deal considering what some of our fellow officials and administrators are going through at this time, my thoughts and prayers are certainly with you at this time.

Paul LaRosa

Chad – to your questions:
    1)Yes, there have been officials who registered on day of camp in the past (we’re talking about the camp here, not the clinic)
    2)I’m not seeing the link between YES to the above and punishing officials, those two points simply do not align for me
    3)”Hold punishment on what someone’s intent would or would not have been”? Honestly, I don’t know what that means so I can’t respond to it.

Let’s be clear, the LHSOA leadership is vigorously supports both Fairness AND Accountability.
    1)We believe Fairness dictates that we fight to give any official camp credit if they made a bona fide attempt to get their camp commitment met by registering and paying their registration fee in advance;
    2)We also believe that Accountability dictates that officials who know in advance that a camp is a crucial requirement to retain their certification and then choose to pass on multiple opportunities to meet that requirement AND then procrastinate to the point that their plan is to show up on camp day and register, are officials who are not showing personal accountability to meet their professional standards.
    The LHSOA leadership is repeatedly placed in situations where we have to fight for fairness for our officials, but in doing so we have to accept that holding these same officials personally accountable is part of a fair standard. Thank you for engaging in the discussion. Paul LaRosa

Phillip Tassin
    Participant

Let’s be clear, the LHSOA leadership is vigorously supports both Fairness AND Accountability.
    1)We believe Fairness dictates that we fight to give any official camp credit if they made a bona fide attempt to get their camp commitment met by registering and paying their registration fee in advance;
    2)We also believe that Accountability dictates that officials who know in advance that a camp is a crucial requirement to retain their certification and then choose to pass on multiple opportunities to meet that requirement AND then procrastinate to the point that their plan is to show up on camp day and register, are officials who are not showing personal accountability to meet their professional standards.
    The LHSOA leadership is repeatedly placed in situations where we have to fight for fairness for our officials, but in doing so we have to accept that holding these same officials personally accountable is part of a fair standard. Thank you for engaging in the discussion. Paul LaRosa

IN TOTAL AGREEMENT with Paul On This One

Chad Vallo
    Participant

So in response to agree or disagree I say that if someone has registered on the opening day of the CAMP then we cannot definitely say that he or she had INTENT to be at the offered CAMP. So no LHSAO official shouild be punished due to a catastrophic event beyond anyone’s control. The last thing anyboby wants is a pissing match to what a persons INTENT is, however to hold punishment to any official denied registration due to anything beyond their control is simply unfair. I say that this years CAMP was not necessary if all officials would have attended last years CAMP. simply not FAIR to punish. All the NEW YORK LAWYER words in the world cannot and should not be used to punish any official in the great state of LOuisiana due to Mother Natures wrath.

Chad Vallo
    Participant

Mr. Paul
    Chad – to your questions:
    1)Yes, there have been officials who registered on day of camp in the past (we’re talking about the camp here, not the clinic)
    2)I’m not seeing the link between YES to the above and punishing officials, those two points simply do not align for me
    3)”Hold punishment on what someone’s intent would or would not have been”? Honestly, I don’t know what that means so I can’t respond to it.
    1)Yes people have registered in the past on the day of the CAMP.
    2)yes to question 1 then we owe them the opertunity to register on any CAMP on the opening day of such CAMP, do not punish because they didn’t pre register.
    3)You used the word intent (IF this happens, the logic would be that these individuals clearly made their intent to attend known by registering and paying and but for the cancellation). Shouldn’t matter if we have allowed the first question, meaning that you can walk up and register at the CAMP.
    Sorry but I feel that this was beyond your and my controle.
    Keith should do what is right. (MY OPENION)

Paul LaRosa

Chad – no pissing match here, and no New York lawyer words (I’m actually a CPA born and raised in New Orleans). The LHSOA leadership will not support giving credit to any officials who did not at least make the effort to register in advance of the camp, period. Thanks for staying engaged. Paul LaRosa

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.