Rules Clinic

Forums Football Rules Clinic

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paul LaRosa 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Robert Landry
    Participant

Can LHSOA push for Mr. Alexander to hold a mandatory rules clinic on the day of the clinic in Shreveport? We will have a lot of officials there and it seems logical to do this..

Paul LaRosa

I am looking into this although I believe there are some specific reasons why this does not work very well. We tried it a few years ago at the Football camp in N.O. and learned some lessons. However, I am checking. When will you get to Shreveport, we need to know what our timing options are??? Paul LaRosa

Edward Burleigh
    Participant

I agree. It would be nice.

Paul LaRosa

I’ve already replied to this original post but I will repeat my response since apparently it was not read. Yes, it would be nice if we could combine all of our requirements into one event…Rules clinic, Camp, and maybe even throw in the test. Unfortunately it does not work. Each of these requirements are different, and they require different approaches to execute each. I understand the challenges we all face in committing the time to do these, but let’s examine the facts:
    1)Camps: we have to attend ONE every TWO YEARS; is that really unreasonable? Several opportunities to meet this requirement pop up around the state over a 2-year period – continuous training is part of nearly every profession we practice, we’re getting paid to officiate, we’re professionals
    2)Rules Clinics: they last about an hour or so, are held throughout the state, and happen once a year; unreasonable that we have to attend, seems not
    3)Test: once a year, online and we’re basically given the questions, and if you take the Practice test on this site a few times you will get the answers; unreasonable – no. Come on guys, are the requirements really that burdensome? Paul LaRosa

jason
    Participant

considering what has the lhsoa done for us individuals… yes

Paul LaRosa

Wow, sorry to hear you feel that way Bob. Since you chose to announce your clear dissatisfaction over a public message board, I’ll reply in the same public forum. I believe the LHSOA has fought very hard to create benefits for its members, members who pay no dues to the LHSOA for their membership. It is true a $5.00 assessment is being collected when you register with the state, but those funds are specifically earmarked for Officiate Louisiana Day to be held in N.O. next year. The LHSOA lobbied to get rid of the proctored rules test, now you can sit in your den with your buddies and take it online. We fought for and got you a pay raise, and while it wasn’t much, the Principals Assoc. were heading down a path to potentially reduce your pay – that’s precisely what they did in baseball. We worked to develop an Annual Summit where all of our officials could come together and learn from each other AND we put this on for you for a cost of $11.00 AND we got you 5 points credit on your Rules Test just for showing up. Could we do more, absolutely, are we working to do more, definitely. If you don’t think the LHSOA creates any value for you, next time you have a problem with what’s coming out of Baton Rouge, try going it alone…let me know how that works out. Thanks for expressing your opinion. I don’t believe the facts support it, but I certainly have no problem in you expressing it. Paul LaRosa

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.